I plant my flag. I sit by the warm fire. I see the road traveled so far,fruitful, full of joy and with lovely characters along the way.

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Review George on 4th - Parkhurst - Johannesburg

I believe Parkhurst is a fantastic area. It is like a little village with delicate restaurants with outside area's, pleasant bars and retro stores. George on 4th is my new challenge. Together with my two friends we had lunch on a sunny afternoon! Should I also mention how cold it was last Friday.. this is the first time I wore a sweater in months! F*&:\xi3_u(&^#(#..

Anyway, back to George on 4th.

First impression at the entrance:
  • The place is not easy to spot from the street 
  • No branding of any kind was visible outside or inside
  • Lovely wooden chairs and parquet floor
  • Continental touch
  • Charming decor
  • Outside tables too close to the road
We were seated outside and the waiter came, properly introduced himself and asked us what we wanted to drink. We ordered wine and fruit juices. The house wine is definitely recommended. Nothing fancy but a good price, and a full glass.

As girls do, we chatted and we forgot to look at the menu.The waiter understood and was very patient with us girls. After we made up our mind we all decided to take a salad for lunch. I ordered Berry & Goats Cheese Salad -
Poached seasonal berries, toasted almonds, watercress, topped with goats cheese- and was surprised about the plate that was served to me ten to fifteen minutes later. That my friends, is a salad!! The plate was full with green leaves in the middle, I guess 8 cm high. Around the greenery the goat cheese was perfectly laid out, together with all the ingredients that tasted fantastic together. One of us was given a steak knife by the way, which I thought was strange. After asking out friendly waiter, he apologized for the mistake and replaced the knife.

Definitely a healthy lunch at George on 4th. No dressing was added but there was balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the table for our own use. The bottles were placed in the middle of the table, perfectly laid out but annoying because it blocks sight. After use we asked the waiter if he could take them away which he did immediately.

Inside the place looks great. Besides lovely healthy food, good ambiance and a friendly waiter, I loved the fact that there was no rush.. just a relaxing Friday afternoon in Parkhurst. Great choice of food and wine (original). What fucking annoyed me the whole experience outside on the terrace was the fact that there were fucking parked cars in front of the restaurant. These cars blocked our view completely. Keep this an open area guys! How hard can it be?

Overall experience?
Good

Value for money?
Yes. Good prices for a more than average lunch. The food is of high standard, based on my review of the menu. Inside the place is beautiful but sitting outside during the day isn't nice because the cars are parked near the tables. That is why my 'vote' is as follows.


Food           3/5
Service       3/5
Ambiance   3/5  

Overall review
3.0

Warm Regards,

Abigail Summer

No comments: